Strategic Marketing Executive, Brand Builder & Leader. Grow brands and sales, launch new products and ventures, build and scale strong teams.
With over 25-years building brands and business in a dozen different categories, Ted has hands-on experience in launching new products, brands and companies from early stage concept development through go-to- market execution. He specializes at synthesizing consumer information and market data into actionable insights to create brand differentiation and establish a clear marketing vision that drives integrated marketing planning and execution. The results: brand AND sales growth.
With functional experience in all areas of Marketing, Ted has led marketing efforts for large companies, smaller organizations and startups, including:
Led development of brand strategy, marketing and PR plans for leading worldwide publisher of connected games. Member of Leadership Team that grew company from 120 to 500 employees and over $300MM in revenue during tenure.
- Evolved company’s positioning to that of a recognized global leader in the free-to-play, hardcore social/mobile games movement; built awareness and enterprise value among consumer, media, industry and financial audiences.
- Spearheaded product marketing launches of seven successful commercial titles in 16 months, including web-based social games and mobile games.
- Led strategic announcement of two major funding rounds (Series C - $30MM; Series D - $85M) that raised awareness levels by 300%.
- Drove fielding, analysis and broad publication/media coverage of breakthrough research study that reshaped industry assumptions on gamer configuration and trends while reinforcing company’s leadership role in disrupting the $50 billion games industry.
- Redesigned corporate web site; launched company blog and initiated social media efforts to better deliver key product and corporate messages; resulted in +50% increase in job applicant flow through the site.
Serve as Adjunct Professor at the Ageno School of Business, Golden Gate University (GGU) in San Francisco, CA. For over 110 years, GGU has been helping adult students achieve their professional goals by providing undergrad and graduate education in a variety of business related fields. GGU is California's fourth oldest private university and has an enrollment of over 5,000 students.
- Instruct graduate level students pursuing MBA and/or MS degrees in Marketing, Integrated Communications and Business Administration.
- Current courses include Marketing and New Media, a graduate level course of instruction covering principles, strategic planning and execution of social media marketing programs. tactics. and tools.
Provided client consulting services ranging from product concept development through go-to-market implementation for marketing and new product innovation firm.
- Served as VP Marketing & Sales for introduction of
AudioBone, an innovative headphone that transmits music directly through bones
of skull to the inner ear; launched product into the consumer electronics
online retail channel.
Re-positioned eco-friendly cleaning products company to pursue dual consumer and commercial sales channel strategy; developed brand strategy, pricing strategy and go-to-market plans for consumer channel.
Recruited by founding CEO to lead all consumer, product and customer acquisition marketing for venture-funded startup manufacturer of over-the-counter acne treatment device and skin care products. Built marketing-agency teams, infrastructure from scratch.
- Developed marketing strategy and implemented plans that launched ThermaClear acne treatment device via direct-to-consumer marketing channels, including Direct Response TV, DR print, online marketing, search engine marketing, and TV shopping channels.
- Led creation and launch of two web sites: Therative corporate site and ThermaClear product/e-commerce site. Post-launch, oversaw site changes that boosted sales conversion rates over six-fold (from 0.5% to over 3%) in 2-months.
- Collaborated with product development team to optimize ThermaClear device and feature set. Led development and design of accompanying packaging and collateral for products.
Partnered with CEO in building company infrastructure as well as business development efforts. Secured initial retail/3rd party partnerships (HSN, Sephora, drugstore.com) with an estimated Year 1 value of $1 million incremental revenue.
Spearheaded PR strategy and execution, including press tours and media outreach (offline, online) that generated $3 million worth of media coverage in 6 months.
Recruited to build and lead centralized Marketing department team for worldwide medical association serving educational needs of 25,000+ ophthalmologists. Led team in development of marketing plans and improved product management capabilities; owned P&L for portfolio of 400+ product sku’s.
- Led marketing initiatives that reversed downward sales trend, achieving 35% product sales revenue growth during tenure while decreasing marketing spend over 50%. Surpassed sales goals by 10% or more each year.
- Led team in launching over 25 new products in each fiscal year, accounting for 30% of annual product revenue.
- Directed market research program that shaped feature design for online continuing medical education (CME) product, first of its kind in the industry. Created business strategy, executed marketing plans to successfully launch product.
- Initiated and led effort to revamp e-commerce store; resulted in 12% increase in online sales.
Recruited by founders to serve on Executive Team and lead all marketing efforts for VC-funded online used car marketplace. Built Marketing organization and capabilities from scratch; developed marketing and communication strategy, and led plan execution to launch the company in highly competitive online car sales category.
- Established online and offline customer acquisition program designed to enhance brand/visibility, acquire registered users registration and drive traffic of qualified used car buyers and sellers; among the first paid search advertisers on GoTo.com in 1999-2000.
- Led development of breakthrough advertising campaign (radio, newspaper, outdoor), maximizing limited budget to achieve strong awareness. Resulted in 95% increase in brand recognition and 250% increase in key site metrics post-advertising.
- Developed revenue reporting system along with forecasting/predictive model based on telemarketing program to better focus company operational resource allocation and utilization. Improved operating efficiency by 80%.
Recruited to lead development and execution of marketing strategies and plans for new games portfolio for $170 MM publicly traded consumer software company. Led team of ten professionals; generated $65MM in sales, 38% of total company revenue. Shared P&L ownership as well as long term strategic forecasting and planning with General Manager.
- Conceived and executed strategy to launch new games division as a free-standing brand label, RED ORB Entertainment. Created and presented sales road show to leading retailers, resulting in sell-in of full product line to retailers.
- Led teams in developing marketing plans to successfully release 6 new entertainment titles in division’s first year. Created and presented sales road show to leading retailers, resulting in sell-in of full product line to retailers.
- Led strategic planning and marketing launch of Riven: The Sequel to Myst. Over 1 million units sold in 3-months, making Riven the most successful PC entertainment title launch of its time.
- Developed division wide direct-to-consumer plan to generate additional revenue for division through alternate, non-retail channels. Revenue value: incremental $2 million for the RED ORB business unit.
- Established and led initiative to create electronic registration system to facilitate efficient acquisition of customer data for use in CRM and outbound marketing. Acquired half-million data rich customer files in first 4 months.
Started professional career at one of the largest, most respected ad agencies in the world. Promoted through series of leadership roles on high profile clients and brands, including Procter & Gamble, Kraft, Philip Morris, Marlboro, Miller Brewing, Pillsbury, Ameritech.
- Led cross-functional teams to deliver business building strategies and marketing programs for Fortune 500 clients, including P&G, Kraft, Philip Morris that helped build blue chip brands in nine consumer product categories.
- Authored book on Integrated Brand Planning for use as training and planning tool for all global offices.
- More details available upon request.